With the guidance of TE-FOOD’s implementation partner Laurel Ltd, Hungarian Angus farms — working under the common brand Hortobagy Angus, — implement TE-FOOD’s blockchain based traceability solution.
After implementing TE-FOOD at Pölöskei, this project is another success of Laurel.
TE-FOOD’s traceability solution consists of several modules to keep track on the operations using TE-FOOD’s B2B mobile app, or browser based web admin:
On the farm
- Management of the livestock (tagging, weighings, etc.)
- Keeping track of the daily movements between pens and pastures
- Registering veterinary checks, tracking medications
- Registering feeding (material, volume, etc.)
- Sending transports to the slaughterhouse
At the slaughterhouse
- Receiving transports from the primary processors
- Registering primal cut information
- Registering cutting, tagging cuts
- Sending transports to the processing facility
At the processing facility
- Receiving transports from the slaughterhoouse
- Registering processing events
- Registering packaging, and assigning identifiers (QR codes) to the retail products
TE-FOOD’s B2B mobile app enables farm workers to regsiter information quickly directly with their mobile phones, and storing them using TE-FOOD’s blockchain as a trusted, decentralized traceability ledger.
When consumers scan the QR codes, they access the information registered throughout the supply chain, and defined by the supply chain company as public data. And due to traceability, consumers see all public information back to feeding, movement, etc. about the cattle from which the meat product in their hands is originated.
The motivations of implementing TE-FOOD were:
- To differentiate their brand from the competition. As a premium brand, their target consumers demand excellent quality products. As it becomes more difficult to stand out with traditional methods like packaging, providing food history information gives a new type of consumer experience. Transparency is an important advantage for consumers of premium products.
- When consumers scan the QR codes on the products, food producers have the opportunity to make stronger impression by presenting their husbandry approach, their food safety protocols, or their processing methods. This enables stronger brand recognition. Connecting the traceability landing page with links to their web shop, satisfied consumers can instantly place their next order.
- By capturing husbandry information with the TE-FOOD mobile app right on the spot, data management becomes quicker and less error prone, saving valuable time for the farm employees.
TE-FOOD is the world’s largest publicly accessible, farm-to-table food traceability solution. Started in 2016, it serves 6000+ business customers, and handles 400,000 business transactions each day.
For more information, visit www.te-food.com.